Sunday, January 24, 2010

What I learned in language arts

In language arts I learned about Ethos. Ethos is about using the other person’s emotions to help your cause; whether it is a charity event or a murder trial. Like instead of writing 1 million people died of starvation, you would write something like this: The boy fell to the ground again. This time he could not get up. Tears streaming down his face he crawled to the bodies of his parents as his legs dragged uselessly behind him. He reached out his hand to touch his mothers arm. As soon as his finger brushed her too loose sleeve he collapsed. Gasping in pain he struggled to get up. His hands scraped against the rotting wood floor leaving splinters in his palm. "Mom..." he croaked his dry throat like sand paper. “Not you too. Don't leave me..." The boy pushed forward. As he grasped her hand he let go in shock. Her hand slapped against the floor with a thud. She was like ice. She was cold like death. She had left him too." Noo..." Croaked the boy, his throat to torn to wail like he wanted. "No..." The boy's head hit the floor. His shoulders drooped and he too would soon be ice cold. Such are the effects of starvation. Almost 1 Million people, 400,000 children, died this same way.
-
In language arts I also learned about Mythology. Before I used to think that it was a fairy tale from the past, but now I know it's much different. Myths are stories from the past yes, but they're stories to represent what cannot be explained (usually involving gods). Questions like: Why am I here? What is my purpose in life?What happens when I die? A myth is used to explain all of those questions. Usually they used to believe that the sun and stars were some kind of god (Native Americans). They also used to make myths about gods that made the earth, stars, and us (Greek).There myths that you wouldn't have an after life unless your body was preserved (Egyptians). There were myths about everything. But the thing I learned was that a myth is not an old fairy tale, but an old story used to explain the mysteries of nature. The things that every human worries, wonders, and fantasizes about.
-
I also learned how to be concise in my writing. Being concise meant that I would cut down on everything, and anything I didn't need in my writing. I didn't always need to be concise, but I now know how to much better than before. Like instead of writing a 16 word sentence I would write an 8 word sentence. For example: Instead of writing I went to the park with lots of pretty flowers to ride my bike, and play with my friends, and go on the swings, and smell the flowers, and play tag with my mom and brother; I would write I went to the park with my family to play and smell the flowers. That sentence was a lot better right? My teacher taught me to be short and sweet. It really helped me a lot. Thank you Mr. Fielder

1 comment:

  1. very interesting and kept me wanting more, good job!

    ReplyDelete